Directorate of Estates and Facilities

Low emission vehicle scheme

University staff parking permit holders can get a discount on the price of their staff permit if they drive a low emission vehicle to work.
The tariff is just one part of a package of measures designed to encourage lower carbon travel options.

Frequently asked questions about the scheme:

1. What are the discounts and criteria for eligibility?

A 75% discount for staff with vehicles that emit less than 100g of CO2/km.
A 50% discount for staff with vehicles that emit between 101g and 110g of CO2/km.
These criteria will be reviewed annually.

The easiest way to check your car is to take a look at the V5C form that all vehicles have (often referred to as the logbook), or input your car details here to find out if yours is eligible –

Back to top

2. Isn’t this just for expensive electric cars?

No, as you can see above there are a whole host of petrol and diesel vehicles which are eligible.

Back to top

3. What if a low emitting vehicle is not practical or I cannot afford to change cars?

Nothing – you continue to pay the same price for your (already discounted) staff permit as you do now.

Back to top

4. What if I use more than one car to get to work?

Unfortunately you are not eligible for the scheme if you regularly use more than one vehicle to travel to work.
If you, however, use one vehicle virtually all the time (apart from when having a car fixed or serviced, for example) you can take part but you must inform the Car Park Office of a temporary vehicle change to avoid being in breach of scheme rules (see Q8).

Back to top

5. Can I take part if I am a full time permit holder?

Yes, absolutely. Your payment from salary will be altered by the appropriate discount for the duration.

Back to top

6. Can I take part if I have a flexible permit (21 hit card)?

Yes. The discount will be applied each time you buy a 21-hit card.

Back to top

7. How do I take part?

Take a copy of your V5C logbook and your staff ID to the Car Park Office, G.002 Beyer Building (number 49 on the campus map; access via the Old Quadrangle).
A copy of your V5C will be taken and held on file and you will have to sign a declaration.

If you lease your vehicle and don't have a V5C, you can simply bring in your lease document(s) - as long as they contain your name and address that should be fine.

If it is in (e.g.) your spouse's name, that’s no problem either – as long as bring your driving licence along as well as the lease document(s) to verify that your address is the same address the car is leased to.

Back to top

8. What if I don’t comply with the scheme rules?

As outlined in the declaration, failure to comply may result in one or more of the following:

A. Permanent withdrawal/cancellation of any discount and ineligibility to apply for any future discount schemes;
B. Cancellation of parking permit with re-entry to the bottom of the waiting list;
C. Disciplinary action.

Back to top

9. Once on the scheme, what happens if I change my vehicle?

As outlined in the declaration, you must inform the Car Park Office. Failure to do so may result in the sanctions outlined in question 8. Once you update your details the discount may no longer apply if your new car isn’t a low emission vehicle.

Back to top

10. What else do I need to know?

Once per year you will need to come in again to provide your V5C. We will contact you by email to let you know when your renewal is due.

There are monitoring questions on the declaration. These will be used to understand the success of the scheme in terms of encouraging a switch to lower carbon cars and may be used for carbon calculations.

Back to top

11. Why has the University implemented this?

The University takes its Social Responsibly and Environmental Sustainability responsibilities seriously. Whilst the aims to encourage less car use, it is inevitable that some staff will need to travel by car some or all of the time. Higher Education institutions are now calculating their overall carbon footprints, which includes commuting (Scope 3 emissions). Car travel is usually a much more carbon intensive form of travel than alternatives.

If you would like to know more about the University's sustainable travel initiatives, visit the

Back to top

12. I have a query which is not answered here; who can I ask?

Please email

Back to top